A Call to Action
Are you outraged about the proposal to steal money away from bicycle and pedestrian projects? Here’s what you can do:
- Read the proposed amendment. It is a long slog, but it is useful to familiarize yourself. Pages 5-8 summarize the proposed changes in an easy-to-read chart. http://www.planning.ri.gov/documents/about/2019/7a%20-STIP%20Major%20Amendment%20print.pdf
- Read RIBike’s press release. https://ribike.org/2019/01/26/press-release-stip-major-amendment-decimates-the-transportation-alternatives-plan
- Send your comments in writing to the Secretary of the Transportation Advisory Committee, Michael D’Alessandro. See the link below for a sample letter.
Secretary of the Transportation Advisory Committee,
RI Dept. of Administration, Division of Statewide Planning
One Capitol Hill, Providence, RI 02908
There is a sample letter here https://docs.google.com/document/d/13sF2y5BcDBj68b_PpnPBdhB1jaQH_dUO0jf4q31v5Lo/edit?usp=sharing
Optionally, you can fill out and share an on-line form to submit written comment to the Transportation Advisory Committee and the Governor here: https://p2a.co/bQLloyo
All comments on the Amendment must be received prior to or during the TAC’s meeting on February 28, 2019 at 4:00 p.m.
- Contact Governor Gina Raimondo, your state senator and representative and tell them this is unacceptable. RI Bike has prepared a document with information for you to use in your letters. Pick an issue or two important to you to focus on. https://docs.google.com/document/d/13sF2y5BcDBj68b_PpnPBdhB1jaQH_dUO0jf4q31v5Lo/edit?usp=sharing
To find your elected officials, go to https://vote.sos.ri.gov, click on “find your elected officials”, enter your home address and click “continue”.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 as much as you can.
- Attend and plan to speak at one of the public meetings being held by the TAC about this amendment.
Monday, February 25, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.
Narragansett Town Hall – Council Chambers
25 Fifth Avenue
Narragansett, RI 02882
Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 4:00 p.m.
RI Department of Administration
One Capitol Hill, Providence RI 02908
Conference Room A, 2nd Floor
- Share this information with your friends and family & ask them to do the same.
This post has been updated to add a link to the League of American Bicyclist’s Call-to-Action