Phew! 2020 was ROUGH! But one program kept us energized and visible!
Light Up the Night
123 free light sets distributed through the Providence Community Libraries to residents across the city!
Our mission is to cultivate a physical and social environment in Rhode Island that encourages bicycling for all ages.
We envision Rhode Island as a place that is safe & accessible to bike in for all, with safe & connected bike routes separated from traffic within easy reach of most families.
- 2004 — Greenways Alliance of Rhode Island founded as state committee of the East Coast Greenway Alliance, to promote the completion of greenways throughout the state.
- 2007 — Providence Bicycle Coalition founded to facilitate greater coordination among the many great groups interested in bicycling in and around Providence.
- 2010 — The merger of the Greenways Alliance of Rhode Island and the Providence Bicycle Coalition created the Rhode Island Bicycle Coalition, with the mission of promoting and enabling bicycling as a healthy, enjoyable, efficient, and environmentally-friendly mode of transportation all over the Ocean State.
- 2015 — The volunteer board of the Coalition hired its first staff person, with the goal of expanding the organization’s visibility and impact.
- 2016 — Along with partner coalitions, the Bicycle Coalition successfully won a $10 million state bond for connecting and extending the state’s bike path network, and inclusion of more than 1.4 miles of bike & pedestrian connections in a highway replacement project adjacent to Providence’s poorest neighborhood.