Our mission is to cultivate a physical and social environment in Rhode Island that encourages bicycling for all ages.
We envision Rhode Island as a place that is safe & accessible to bike in for all, with safe & connected bike routes separated from traffic within easy reach of most families.
- 2004 — Greenways Alliance of Rhode Island founded as state committee of the East Coast Greenway Alliance, to promote the completion of greenways throughout the state.
- 2007 — Providence Bicycle Coalition founded to facilitate greater coordination among the many great groups interested in bicycling in and around Providence.
- 2010 — The merger of the Greenways Alliance of Rhode Island and the Providence Bicycle Coalition created the Rhode Island Bicycle Coalition, with the mission of promoting and enabling bicycling as a healthy, enjoyable, efficient, and environmentally-friendly mode of transportation all over the Ocean State.
- 2015 — The volunteer board of the Coalition hired its first staff person, with the goal of expanding the organization’s visibility and impact.
- 2016 — Along with partner coalitions, the Bicycle Coalition successfully won a $10 million state bond for connecting and extending the state’s bike path network, and inclusion of more than 1.4 miles of bike & pedestrian connections in a highway replacement project adjacent to Providence’s poorest neighborhood.