bike commuting: route assistance needed.

May

bike commuting: route assistance needed.

Can someone help a brother cyclist out? The PBC received this message:

“Was wondering if there is a good way to determine a safe
(er) route for biking to work. I live in Providence and work in
Mansfield, MA. My one attempt at biking to work was awful and w/o a
foldable bike (or desire for one) I cannot bike/rail it. I’m a bit
newer to the area and am just looking for resources.”

The PBC can sympathize, but no route comes immediately to mind. Does someone out there have some suggestions? If so, please post them here as comments, or reply directly to david.crosby (at) cox.net.

And thanks!

6 thoughts on - bike commuting: route assistance needed.

• jack
    Reply May 18, 2009 at 6:40 am

Unless someone else here knows that are first hand, I would recommend the Rubel Cyling Map of Eastern Mass. You can pick one up at Legend Bicycle on Brook St. in Prov. http://www.legendbicycle.com. They can also help you find good local routes as well.

• Bruce
    Reply May 18, 2009 at 7:16 am

Mansfield to Prov should be pretty easy. 152 is pretty good road. 106 or 123, depending on what side of town, to 152 then 152 right into EP. It is a pretty short ride. I was surprise that it was only 20 miles from casa il Bruce in Six Corners to my in laws in Wrentham Centre. 152 is pretty direct route to that area.

From there it is a toss up. Henderson or I-195 bridge. BTW is sure is nice having the soon to be George Redman Linear Park open.

• Matt
    Reply May 18, 2009 at 7:23 am

I recommend a folding bike (and a 12 ride commuter rail pass). The train pass will last 6 months (or longer) or 12 rides, whichever comes first. It will come in handy for those really really bad rain storms…

A well built folder rides like a normal bike. Aside from its strange looks (perhaps a theft deterrent), it's just like any other bike.

I currently own two folders and sold off a third. I use them for commuting and on my days off I ride them in the local park. Just like any other bike.

• Alan Barta
    Reply May 18, 2009 at 7:39 am

I used to commute through Providence to Mansfield. It was a healthy run, about 26 miles.

Mansfiield is not huge, but it depends on where in town you're headed. If you have the cyclist contact me directly, I will send him a cue sheet.

Obviously, there are several good ways to go. You can vary them for daily variety. Mine avoided downtown Attleboro.

You're not going to derive such a route consulting maps alone.

• Jason
    Reply May 18, 2009 at 7:42 am

I've done the Attleboro-Providence leg once or twice, and I've used County Street -> Cottage Street -> Pawtucket -> Pawtucket Ave -> N. Main Street successfully, if you don't mind mingling with the traffic in Pawtucket.

Combine that with Rt 152 and 106, and you get something like this:

As an owner of a folding bike (a Breezer zig7 from Providence Bicycle), I strongly recommend the folding/train option. I've used mine daily on RIPTA without much trouble, and the car cost I avoided by using the folder paid for its ~$400 cost within a month or two of daily use.

• Dave Crosby
    Reply May 18, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Thanks for the posts, I am the cyclist looking for the info. I work in the office park (Cabot Business Park off of Hampshire Street) coming from the PC area (in between PC/RIC). I don't mind adding a few extra miles (anything under 30 will work for me) if it gets me there in one piece.

For the person that recommended the folding bikes if you have a few brand selections I'll look into them.

Thanks again,