cut every reference to bicycling and walking out of the federal transportation policy!
Clearly this shows how important some of our current legislators feel alternative modes of transportation are. If this bill is allowed to pass in its current form, it would mean:
- Destroys Transportation Enhancements by making the program optional
- Repeals the Safe Routes to School program, reversing years of progress in creating safe ways for kids to walk and ride bicycles to school
- Allows states to build bridges without safe access for pedestrians and bicycles
- Eliminates bicycle and pedestrian coordinators in state DOTs
- Eliminates language that insures that rumble strips “do not adversely affect the safety or mobility of bicyclists, pedestrians or the disabled”
There is a shimmer of hope though
Representative Petri (R-WI) will stand up for bicycling and walking by offering an amendment that restores dedicated funding for Transportation Enhancements and Safe Routes to School. Mr. Petri can only be successful if everyone with a stake in safe sidewalks, crosswalks, and bikeways contacts their Representative on the Transportation Committee again today to urge them to vote YES on the Petri amendment!
Please voice your opinion. It only takes a few moments to fill out the online form.