The Department of Transportation is proposing $37 million in cuts to funding for bicycling and walking yet again in a new amendment to the statewide transportation improvement program. The state and our representative need to hear from people like you that there is more to transportation than just automobiles! Make your voice heard that funding bicycling and walking is critically important.
Here’s what you can do:
1. Read the proposed amendment. It is a long slog, but it is useful to familiarize yourself.
2. Review the summary of the TAP changes published by Statewide Planning:
3. Read RI Bike’s press release:
4. Send your comments in writing to the Secretary of the Transportation Advisory Committee, Michael D’Alessandro. See the link below for a sample letter.
Secretary of the Transportation Advisory Committee, Michael D’Alessandro
RI Dept. of Administration, Division of Statewide Planning
One Capitol Hill, Providence, RI 02908
There is a sample letter here
All comments on the STIP Amendment must be received prior to 3:30 pm on August 22, 2019.
Time is of the essence here, since there is only a 30 day comment period and the clock has already started.
5. Contact Governor Gina Raimondo, your state senator and representative, and Congress and tell them this is unacceptable. RI Bike has prepared a document with information for you to use in your letters. Pick an issue or two important to you to focus on. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aDP1Fd8qAVsKjizBf79Lg_opQwT6K1soFQcW3jHnSak/edit?usp=sharing
To find your elected officials, go to https://vote.sos.ri.gov, click on “find your elected officials”, enter your home address and click “continue”.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 as much as you can.
7. Attend and plan to speak at one of the public meetings being held by the TAC about this amendment:
Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Narragansett Town Hall
25 Fifth Avenue, Narragansett, RI
Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 4:00 p.m.
RI Department of Administration
One Capitol Hill, Providence RI
Conference Room 2A, 2nd Floor
8. Share this information with your friends and family & ask them to do the same.