13 Year Old Struck and Killed in North Smithfield

13 Year Old Struck and Killed in North Smithfield

ABC6 is reporting that

a 13 year-old boy who was struck while crossing Route 102 on his bicycle has died as a result of his injuries.

The accident happened around 7pm Wednesday evening, at the intersection of Victory Highway and North Main Street.

The boy, now identified as 13 year-old Scott Wright of North Smithfield, was taken to Hasbro Children’s Hospital, and later died.

The driver of the minivan that hit the boy has been identified as Patricia Auger, 57, of Burrillville. Auger has not been charged in the accident, which is still under investigation by the police department’s Accident Reconstruction Unit.

Police have scheduled a press conference at 1pm Thursday to discuss the accident.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to another cycling family on the loss of a loved one.  If anyone happens to hear further details, please add a comment to this post.  As always, we’d be interested in knowing the details of the accident.

Update (11/8/2010):

There is a little more information about this accident now than when put up the original post.   Initial police reports indicate that

the collision took place with the bicycle in the crosswalk.

Wright was thrown 30 to 40 feet, landing near the middle of the intersection. Auger stopped a little farther east on Route 102, which is also Route 146a.

I would think that to throw someone 30 to 40 feet, the car must have been moving at a fairly high rate of speed.  An eyewitness stated that as

the bicyclist traveled across Route 102, the light changed to green,” explained North Smithfield Police Captain Tim Lafleur.

“I just saw him driving across the street and a utility truck stopped, let him go, and the van just came around and smacked right into him. It was awful, it was awful.”

Naturally, no charges have been pressed for the driver.  My understanding of law enforcement requirements are that in order to charge the driver with something they need either a) to witness the act themselves or b) have an impartial witness.  It certainly sounds like there was an impartial witness in this case, yet no charges have yet to be filed???  Is this another case where a motorist is able to claim “they didn’t see someone” and get away with involuntary manslaughter?

21 thoughts on - 13 Year Old Struck and Killed in North Smithfield

• Mel
    Reply Nov 4, 2010 at 9:57 am

This is a very tragic accident and my condolences go to the families. Hopefully now people will learn from this incidence and take much more precautions in this intersection as well as many others. This is an unfortunate accident and I beg that in the future people wait for a fellow driver to turn as opposed to trying to just go by in a turn only lane. I hope the town takes this opportunity to repaint the roads and further accentuate that the right hand lanes in that intersection are for right hand turns only. Condolences and sympathies to both families.

Reply Nov 4, 2010 at 4:35 pm

A tragic accident.

Our hearts go out to the families involved.

And it happens again.

No charges filed.

No harm done.

I hear the driver was very upset.

And I'll be riding my bike to work again tomorrow.

Reply Nov 4, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Sorry we didn't act sooner Scott.

• Reply Nov 4, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Scott was my friend. We would always bike together. This was just not right. The driver just got off with a ticket and in my eyes this is not right. I see this as murder intentional or not a good friend is now dead and the driver is free.

• Linda
    Reply Nov 4, 2010 at 8:16 pm

My heart aches for Scott's family. my son is also 13 and knows scott and tonite we cried together. Why God takes people from us sooner, we will never know. I do know however that Scott was a wonderful kid with alot of life.

sorry sSott, we will never forget you and you are forever in my prayers.

Reply Nov 5, 2010 at 6:52 am

Okay, it was evening. But the victim was in a PEDESTRIAN CROSSING.

Motorists have some idea that they can drive in an uncontrolled manner, cell phone in one hand, ciggie and coffee in the other, at rates of speed over 25 mph. They get this from TV commercials that show morons racing around cities and towns. Think about it. What does a automobile represent other than dangerous speed? Might they ban such advertising?

Now Scott Wright joins the annual carnage of RI cyclists killed (Amanda Lynn Benge, Frank Cabral, Victor Rodriques Potter) or maimed, while courts do nothing, and mayors, municipal planners, and RIDOT sleep or, worse, steal shoulders for extra narrow lanes that result in accidents as this. The band aid will be to put another traffic signal or sign, because they aren't going to fight for safety or say anything that might upset motoring voters.

• Barry
    Reply Nov 5, 2010 at 9:50 am

I don't know all the conditions of this accident but I share the grief and outrage as posted above.

Motorists who drive drunk or do hit-and-runs (such as the woman who recently seriusly injured a Providence Councilman crossing Atwells Ave) usually do face some real penalties, but those who are merely careless or distracted when they kill or injure someone seem to always get off. This helps discourage folks from bicycling, which makes it harder to get the critical mass of bicyclists so useful in making the roads safer. We need to work on ways to really penalize such motorists enough so as to deter this behavior.

• rachel palazini
    Reply Nov 7, 2010 at 7:59 am

I never really knew scott, but go to school with him.(NSMS) When the school told everyone what happened, we were all bawling, even people who didnt know him. Half of his grade went home and almost a quarter of sixth and seventh. Everyone mourned and kept to themselves over the loss. His best friends saw the whole accident right when it happened, and I feel very sorry for them. I feel very badly for his mother, father, sister and brother, and their whole family. You are all in my prayers.

R.I.P. Scott Wright

• Victor Martelle
    Reply Nov 7, 2010 at 5:23 pm

It's been proven that when a bicyclist gets hit, the police won't usually do anything.

If the motorist is found guilty, again, most will get under a year in jail.

• john smith
    Reply Nov 8, 2010 at 10:25 am

Scott was my sons good friend , over my house swimming in my pool, riding bikes at the ramps, Scott will be riding in heaven RIP Sottie we love you always

• Olivia Grey
    Reply Nov 8, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Ms. Auger did NOT receive a ticket. She was NOT drunk or high. The SIDE of her minivan was damaged by the impact. How can these facts be twisted to blame her for the accident? Read the above comments.

• Reply Nov 8, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Aside from one of the comments in the original article, where does it say the side of the automobile was damaged? The police are quoted in multiple articles we referenced as referring to the automobile striking the cyclist and the cyclist being thrown 30 – 40 feet. A person isn't going to be thrown like this due to an impact with the side of an automobile.

Furthermore, there are multiple accounts that say another vehicle was already stopped waiting for the cyclist in the crosswalk, according to state law:

§ 31-18-4 Overtaking of vehicle stopped for pedestrian. – (a) Whenever any vehicle is stopped at a marked crosswalk or at any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.

she should have stopped, regardless of what the traffic light was showing.

• Reply Nov 8, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Sorry… one more comment

Ms. Auger did NOT receive a ticket.

which is proof of nothing. There are multiple examples of people (pedestrians/cyclists) being killed by motorists in this state where no ticket was issued. The simple fact of the matter is we, as a society, have allowed the personal automobile to lay claim to the American roadway. All other forms of transportation, cycling or walking, are considered secondary.

I once had a friend of mine tell me that should you ever wish to kill someone, just do it with your car. All you need to say is "I didn't see them" and you will get off. Is this the type of society we truly want to live in?

• Becky Lemek Machinsk
    Reply Nov 9, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Our hearts break for Scott, Christine & the entire Wright family. Scott was only a few months older than my daughter Kylie and I remember babysitting him as a baby when we stilled lived in RI. We are so terribly sorry to hear of this sad, sad accident.

• Victor
    Reply Nov 10, 2010 at 10:31 am

Theres a press conference nov 11 thursday? Or was it last week?

• enraged
    Reply Dec 10, 2010 at 9:39 am

This is to Olivia Gray, I would like to meet with you to discuss the facts of this case, as you are CLUELESS! Did your friend Pat tell you about the damage to the side of her car? Your an idiot, there is no damage to the side of her mini van, SHE HIT HIM with the front of her van, and yes she did not get a ticket, which is fine, because she should go to jail!!! She overtook the intersection, while the other cars where waiting for Scott and the other boys to cross, which is against the law. Please stop posting your ignorance all over these sights because it's really upsetting. Granted I do not feel she headed out that horrible day with the intention to kill anyone, but she did not have control of her vehicle and now WE have to deal with the loss of such a wonderful young man. You have NO idea what a joy he was, so funny and sweet and we will never get over this loss!! next time you talk to PAT let her know THAT

• Karissa shirley
    Reply Mar 4, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Hey Scotty u don't no me but I no u my friends no u Emily yea she cries all the

Time I cry just by reading this I'm Sorry may you rest in peace. RIP Scott wright

Reply Mar 7, 2011 at 6:47 am

During my advocacy watch, 4 Rhode Island bicyclists were killed by motorists: Amanda Lynn Benge, Frank Cabral, Victor Rodriques Potter, and Scott Wright. A ghost bike was installed for all but Scott, but planning a group ghost bike to represent them all now that weather is improving. Issue is where to put it where it won't get stolen, vandalized, or whisked away by authorities, yet be visible. Wonder if a business, individual or school would volunteer private property, or state or town public property, for a permanent installation. Probably not. See ghost bike at…

• Reply Mar 8, 2011 at 12:25 pm

@Alan I applaud you for your dedication to putting out ghost bikes… I think they provide a really good message to the motoring community. We received a call from Scott's mom, she wanted to let you know that someone else has already put up a ghost bike at the corner of the incident. It went up sometime in December and has been there ever since.

Reply Jun 19, 2011 at 4:37 am

Rode through Slatersville this week and inspected ghost bike (SW corner, closest to Brigido's, of intersection of Central Avenue and Rt. 102). Has a laminated card with "ghostbike.org" but no motorist visible identification, share the road message, or tie to Scott. Wind must have whipped front wheel 90°, so I straightened. On g-bikes I've deployed, wired front wheel to frame or set against a flat barrier or fence. Lest we forget, distributed the following list at Ride of Silence of those who died on my watch…

Amanda Lynn Benge, Frank Cabral, Scott Wright, Victor Rodriques Potter

Bruce Rosar, Claire Morisette, Daniel Behrman, Ken Kifer, Sheldon Brown

Tom Simpson (1967 Tour de France, Mont Ventoux)

Fabio Casartelli (1995 Tour de France)

Manuel Sanroma (1999 Tour of Catalunya)

Nicole Reinhart (2000 Arlington Circuit Race)

Andrei Kivilev (2003 Paris-Nice)

Juan Barrero (2004 Tour of Colombia)

Tim Pauwels (2004 Belgium Cyclo-cross)

Isaac Galvez (2006 Six Days of Ghent)

Bruno Neves (2008 Classica de Amarante)

Thomas Casarotto (2010 Giro del Friuli)

Three of Montreal Woman's Bicycle Team (2010 Quebec training)

Sally Meyerhoff (2011 Arizona pre-Olympic training)

Wouter Weylandt (2011 Giro d'Italia)