Eight New RIDOT Projects
An article in today’s Projo lists eight new projects RIDOT announced will be funded with Federal stimulus money. From an advocacy point of view, I think it’s important for our group to stay on top of lists like these, review areas RIDOT is working in, and see if there are any infrastructure improvements that can be made to help cyclists. Below you find the list of projects. If you happen to live in one of these areas or your daily commute takes you by one of these areas and you can suggest specific improvements RIDOT could work on during their construction, please let us know! We can then lean on RIDOT to include improvements for cyclists while other work is being done.
• Foster: Rehabilitation and resurfacing of Moosup Valley Road from 0.9 miles west of Route 14/Plainfield Pike to Cucumber Hill Road (1.4 miles, $800,000).
Rehabilitation and resurfacing of Route 14/Route 102 from Briggs Road to Old Plainfield Pike (1.2 miles, $800,000).
• Glocester: Replacement of the Chestnut Hill Road Bridge, which carries Chestnut Hill Road over the spillway that flows from the Sayles and Smith Reservoir to the Chepachet River. The project includes construction of a replacement spillway structure and wetlands restoration ($1.5 million).
• South Kingstown: Repair work to the roof at the historic Kingston Station, located in the village of West Kingston. ($300,000).
• Statewide drainage improvements: Various drainage improvements in the following communities: East Greenwich (First Avenue at Division Street), Providence (North Main Street), Scituate (Danielson Pike) and Tiverton (East Road and Crandall Road) ($300,000).
• Warren: Installation of new curbing, sidewalks, minor drainage improvements and street tree preservation and replacement on Main Street (Route 114) from Cherry Street to 160 feet south of Beach Street (0.3 miles, $700,000).
• Westerly: Resurfacing of Route 91/Westerly Bradford Road/Bradford Road, including curbing, sidewalks, guardrail, minor drainage improvements from Westerly Maintenance Facility to Bradford Railroad Bridge/800 feet north of Church Street (3.8 miles, $3 million).
• Woonsocket, Cumberland and Lincoln: Resurfacing of Route 99/Woonsocket Industrial Highway, including curb replacement, minor drainage rehabilitation, new signs and structures, guardrail replacement and minor bridge work from Route 146 to Route 122/Mendon Road (3.75 miles, $5 million).