… and it’s gone

… and it’s gone

RIDOT published their list of projects to be funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.  This list includes the following bike related projects:

• Westminster St. Streetscape from I-95 Service Road No. 7 to Olneyville
    Square/Manton Ave./Plainfield St. (1.3 miles), which includes sidewalks,
    crosswalks, bicycle lanes, street trees and street lighting.  (Providence)
  • Repair sidewalks on Washington St. from Empire St. to Eddy St. and
    Westminster St. from Empire St. to 100 feet east of Mathewson St. (0.3 miles). Includes landscaping and installation of bike racks.  (Providence)

Anyone else notice the Washington Bridge Pedestrian (i.e. The George Redman Linear Park) project missing from the list?  I’ve sent some followup correspondence and I’ll let everyone know what, if anything, I hear back.

RIDOT only provides top level values for the larger project.  I’d be really curious to see a breakdown, so we can all see what percentage is being used on auto vs. non-auto inititives.  My guess is they don’t break down the numbers, so people can’t easily see how large a percentage of the money is going towards auto infrastructure!

6 thoughts on - … and it’s gone

• Reply Mar 5, 2009 at 6:22 am

As I feared, this project may be in jeopardy again… I heard back from a RIDOT representative that

It has been determined that the Washington Pedestrian Bridge (George Redman Linear Park) no longer requires stimulus funding because GARVEE funding is available for the project.

Last I heard, the price tag for the project was about $30 million and there was $15 million available via GARVEE funding. Combine this with the $15 million from the stimulus funds (it was in the last draft of the plans I saw) and you can complete the project. With just the GARVEE funding, I don't see how the project can be completed.

• Reply Mar 5, 2009 at 6:27 am

More feedback from RIDOT

The Washington Bridge Pedestrian project has approximately $15 million of special funding already. We are conducting a value engineering of the project at this time, and the outcome may be of a timeframe that it might fall out of the 120-window required under the ARRA.

Which was my other hunch. Whether done on purpose (i.e. alternative transportation projects are simply less important to RIDOT) or through coincidence, since the project requires a value engineering study, it's quite possible that it wouldn't have qualified for the ARRA funding anyways as it wouldn't qualify as "shovel ready".

• Reply Mar 5, 2009 at 7:52 am

Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure what it all means. I live on the eastiside. Bottom line, when am I going to be going biking over the bridge? Thanks for the good work! -Seth

• Reply Mar 5, 2009 at 8:15 am

Seth, I wish I knew. RIDOT was supposed to reopen the old pedestrian walkway before Thanksgiving last year. Then it got pushed back to the end of February. I have yet to hear an update, but I'll see what I can dig up.

• Reply Mar 5, 2009 at 1:44 pm

I've exchanged plenty of emails today with people from RIDOT. It appears that the GARVEE funding available for the Washington Bridge Pedestrian project is now at at $30 million. How or where this additional $15 million came from, I haven't a clue, but it does mean I can rest a little easier tonight knowing that half the funding for this project hasn't just vanished!

Now we need to get rolling with the value engineering study and we'll be on our way to a new bike/ped crossing over the Washington Bridge.

• Reply Mar 6, 2009 at 4:52 am

If they aren't going to finish the Geo. Redman bridge, and from the looks of it they're not doing much at the moment, can't they just reopen the existing crosswalk in the meantime? I'm getting pretty tired of no reasonable accommodation across the Seekonk River. Was it too much to ask to have opened a temporary bridge to Bold Point?

N-S, from Narragansett to Pawtucket, there isn't ONE bike-ped crossing, not even a ferry. That's an 85 mile detour or a long swim. Since motored vehicles aren't so encumbered, I call that discriminatory, extreme prejudicial mistreatment, state sponsored negligence, unacceptable. It smacks of lobbyist intervention at corporate behest keeping riders from using RI's longest bike path as a commute route.