ghost bike

ghost bike

There has been a ghost bike locked up outside of the Providence Art Club on Thomas St (between Benefit and N Main) since earlier this spring. It memorializes Amanda Lynn Benge, who passed away on February 2, 2008 after a bicycle accident on January 18.

To my knowledge, this is currently Providence’s only ghost bike. Let us hope that no more will be needed.

Other photos will be loaded to the PBC Ghost Bikes image gallery.

6 thoughts on - ghost bike

• Reply May 28, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Eric, thanks for posting this. I have to admit, I'd never heard of a ghost bike prior to this post and it encouraged me to go do a little reading on other ghost bikes. What a great memorial or remembrance of a bicycle accident. I do wonder how many of your average, non-cycling motorists, even notice the bike and those that do, how many know it's significance?

Road side memorials for motorists often take on a religious nature. This type of display is easily symbolic, even for those who don't actively participate in a religion. Perhaps we, cyclists as a group, need to make a concerted effort to actively mark sites of bicycle fatalities with ghost bicycles. The more motorists see these bikes, the more likely they are to learn of their significance. In the mean time, is there anything that can be done to make their significance more apparent? Signs are hard to read while driving, but they would certainly be helpful to those on foot. It's tough to tell in the picture, do any of the signs on the pole describe what happened?

• Reply May 29, 2008 at 4:42 am

Mark, the notes at the memorial do not specifically say what happened. If I recall correctly, notes left at the memorial include admonishments to always wear a helmet, and to always be aware of surroundings, including both moving and stationary objects.

• Reply May 29, 2008 at 9:29 am

Sure, blame the victim again. Certainly wear a helmet; 95% of bicycling fatalities occur when rider isn't wearing a helmet. But instead of trying to educate cyclists, who learn quick that it's do or die, let's begin to so something about MOTORISTS. A license to operate a motor vehicle OBLIGATES them to obey laws and avoid killing bicyclists and pedestrians, whereas, you don't need a license to bike or walk because they are basic human rights.

Motorists are 100% liable for all collisions they cause. Their excuse, "I didn't expect a bike in the road," is unacceptable. Roads are for everyone's use. Motorists must remain in control of their vehicles at all times, even if that means slowing to 25 mph, the defacto limit where not posted. Traffic laws are written to control motored momentum. Incomplete streets that squeeze cyclists and walkers off are not only unacceptable but illegal. This violates FWHA, USDOT and RIDOT standards, YET they just repainted Rt 5, the last formerly bikeable North-South route through Warwick, and, guess what? Two lanes in each direction and NO shoulders. If you want more opinion, ask me about Frenchtown Road. I say it's about time a class action suit is filed.

• Sue
    Reply Jan 29, 2009 at 8:54 pm

I went searching for the Ghost Bike in December (2008). I didn't see it. Is it moved or missing?

• Reply Jan 30, 2009 at 6:09 am

Sue, the bike was removed at some point last summer or fall. I do not know who removed it.

• Sue