AIPC Launches Aquidneck Island Traffic Study

Aug

AIPC Launches Aquidneck Island Traffic Study

As you may be aware, the Aquidneck Island Planning Commission (AIPC) recently announced a $500K Aquidneck Island traffic study.

“The study is a results-oriented project, with measurable outcomes, that will have both fast-track up-front solutions and long-term recommendations,” said Tina Dolen, AIPC executive director. “I cannot overemphasize how vital public participation will be, and our workshops and Web site will continually seek feedback from those who use Aquidneck Island by driving, walking, bicycling, riding the bus, the train or ferries.”

I was glad to see that bicycles were included in the study.  Hopefully, we cyclists will rise to the occasion and provide them with plenty of input.  They claim that

“The public will ensure the study is grounded in real-life experience on the roadways.” Four public workshops will be held during the study process, with the first scheduled in September on a date to be announced.

We will post updates as we find out more details.  In the mean time, I encourage everyone to visit the VHB website mentioned above.

10 thoughts on - AIPC Launches Aquidneck Island Traffic Study

Reply Aug 6, 2009 at 8:32 am

I did the survey and got a response (from a real person) telling me that they are looking to include a bike access across the Seekonk River with the New Bridge.

• Reply Aug 6, 2009 at 9:23 am

Dennis: here's the deal with the bridge. IF RIDOT can put in place a ped/bicycle bridge, using the existing piers from the current 195 bridge, for less than it would cost to remove those piers, then the will. I'm not sure how much it costs to remove piers, but certainly isn't cheap to put in a bridge, even a ped/bicycle bridge. To give RIDOT credit though, they are trying to think outside the box and come up with ways to team up with private funding sources, should the finances not work out. I'm still not 100% confident that we will see a bridge there, but at least RIDOT has good intentions with this one!

• Bill Lewis
    Reply Aug 9, 2009 at 7:55 pm

Um Mark, I think Dennis was refering the Sakonett Bridge which is going to have a Bike/ped lane and this study is not RIDOT it is funded by AIPC..

The article in newspaper had Tina Dolan saying some things that aren't really true about how supposedly hard and or dangerous it is to get around the island. The sad part is that the money spent on this study could come close to the cost of paving a bike path from Stringham Rd. to Cory's Lane on the railroad ROR. This would avoid climbing the hill and going on West Main Rd. or crossing the island(Mill Lane to Middle Rd.) to go down Quaker Hill on East Main Rd. The AIPC has had several studies and has access to others. To waste $500,000 on this is crazy.

• Alan Barta
    Reply Aug 10, 2009 at 4:52 am

For bikeways, more will always be spent on engineering on already engineered RR rights of way than actual construction.

If you want a model for how to include cycling across a highway bridge, all you need is to ride over the CT River on I-95. A totally enclosed, two-way bikeway easily fits alongside. Other alternatives include a separate deck above or below, or a suspended cable car, which would work well for the Newport Bridge, which was poorly designed for cycling. The Jamestown Bridge could be very easily adapted with an enclosed lane, since it has both a sidewalk and a spacious shoulder on both sides.

You have to rate Jamestown, Newport and Sakonett Bridges among the top 5 impediments to cycling in RI. At least we can look forward to the coming Geo. Redman Bikeway over the Seekonk River, although they could have placed a ferry or floating, temporary span meanwhile. This leaves the #1 impediment, Providence itself, which put signs but does nothing tp improve its myriad infrastructure flaws. We actually lost a bit of the Allens Avenue bike lane and Eddy Street shoulder in recent construction, while the rest and Woonasquatucket bike lanes are disappearing due to neglect.

• Reply Aug 11, 2009 at 5:09 am

I wasn't sure which bridge Dennis was talking about. The Sakonnet Bridge goes over the Sakonnet River not the Seekonk River. You are correct though, the Sakonnet Bridge will have much needed bike lanes.

this study is not RIDOT it is funded by AIPC

Thanks for the correction, I updated the post. I just "assumed" that RIDOT was involved, perhaps it was a bad assumption. I knew the money wasn't coming from them, but I figured they were probably happy to have someone else foot the bill.

The article in newspaper had Tina Dolan saying some things that aren’t really true about how supposedly hard and or dangerous it is to get around the island

So let's call them on these!

• Bill Lewis
    Reply Aug 11, 2009 at 1:22 pm

I have already taken the survey and spoke with me state Rep. Peter Martin who was also on the AIPC before being elected. I'll be at the public hearing to express my thoughts and observations abou the island's roadways.

• Reply Aug 16, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Bill,

Do you know of any actual dates or are you just planning to attend? I couldn't find any mention of actual public meetings.

• Bill Lewis
    Reply Aug 16, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Hi Mark,

The AIPC hasn't set a date other than to say in September, they are pretty good about letting the Newport Daily News Know and I'll post when I find out. I'm speaking with Rep. Martin tomorrow I'll see if I can get him to call Tina Nolan about it.

• Bill Lewis
    Reply Aug 25, 2009 at 11:45 am

Hi agin, Rep. Martin called Ms. Nolan and she said sometime in late Sept. I suggest everyone take the survey it can only help us.