“Share the Road”; Frank’s Ride

“Share the Road”; Frank’s Ride

On September 4th, 2007, Frank Cabral took his last bicycle ride.  Frank was struck and killed by a motorist on Route 1 in Charleston RI.  He was 41 years yong.  He loved life, and truly lived it.

Frank’s memorial will start on September 13th, at 10am at Matunuk Beach School.  A beautiful 22.5 mile loop around Route 1.  There will be police at all major traffic sites.

Registration fee is $15.00 and includes: T-Shirt, memorial bracelet, bumper sticker, bottled drinks, and a protein bar.  All pre-registered riders will be eligible to win a Cannondale Rush (Lefty) XL mountain bike, to take home that day.  Please register by August 28th and specify your t-shirt size.  Mail your registration to Lori DiBiasio, 90 Sheffield St., Warwick, RI 02886.

Please feel free to call Lori at 401-738-7809 with any questions reguarding the ride.

16 thoughts on - “Share the Road”; Frank’s Ride

Reply Aug 6, 2008 at 4:26 am

What ever happened to the motorist that killed this man?

• Reply Aug 6, 2008 at 4:36 am

Frank Cabral was similarly honored at this year's Ride of Silence, a free event held annually in memory of cyclists similarly slain. A link was added in his name to the ROS website.

Although bike deaths are relatively rare (44,000/year nationally/annually, 3rd leading cause of death in America), this does not exonerate RIDOT or RI's legislature from their responsibility to provide bikeable segments connecting all portions of the roadnet. Rt 1 in South County is no exception. Years ago plans were forwarded to provide a parallel on-off side street bikeway from Narragansett to Westerly, but, despite low cost and general enthusiasm, it hasn't happened. Such tragedies are the result.

• Reply Aug 6, 2008 at 4:39 am

I don't know why my post was mangled upon sending. 2nd paragraph should have read…

Although bike deaths are relatively rare (<700, nationally/annually) compared to motoring deaths (44,000/year nationally/annually, 3rd leading cause of death in America)…

• Lori DiBiasio
    Reply Aug 6, 2008 at 5:36 am

To answer your question Dennis,the westerly women that struck and killed Frank is free of all charges,it first stated that she faced a 10 year sentence,right down to nothing.I would at least think she would have lost her license for 6 months,hundreds of hours of community service,and a drivers retraining course,after all speeding and driving in the breakdown lane is what killed my beautiful husband. Thank you for your concern Lori.

• Reply Aug 6, 2008 at 5:59 am

Thank you for following up on this post. Even though we've never met, I'd like to add my condolences, be it quite belated, for your loss. It was truly needless and resulted from a person acting without regard towards other human beings. I'm sorry to say that this is a trend that has become all too common in America these days, it doesn't apply only to people's driving habits!

This is one story I've tried to keep tabs on over the past year and have found it really frustrating trying to do so. I knew that the criminal charges had been dropped, but had yet to hear any result from the civil case.

On more than one occasion, this case caused me sit back and think about how criminal charges are applied in our court system. I still haven't fully formed my opinion, but what I have come to believe is that a) people make mistakes and b) they should take responsibility for those mistakes. The woman driving the car in this case forever altered you and your family's life. Likewise, if she has any conscious at all, she has forever altered her life. But what is an appropriate punishment? The most comfortable punishment I've come up with is a lifetime ban on her drivers license. Will this generate a hardship on her life? Yes, but she killed someone and it was the result of negligence, not a freak accident. The big problem with this punishment is a lack of good public transportation, could she actually get around as necessary? I'm not sure. Either way, I've convinced myself that I could accept this punishment as fair, had I been the one driving the car.

• Lori DiBiasio
    Reply Aug 7, 2008 at 8:38 am

Mark,if I had commited vehicular manslaughter,I would voluntarly turn in my drivers licence,having a driving licence comes with a major responsibility,a car is a weapon if not handled correctly ,it kills.This careless, thoughtless,senseless,unthinking catastrophic act, took a precious life.So my question still remains,who holds the responsibility here,who will be held accountable for such a high degree of negligence? What is the penalty,a slap on the wrist?This has crippled our family and friends,the day I lost Frank my heart burst,Frank always said "Love is a Journey,as is Life" that has no end.Someone ended our journey for us. Lori.

• Linda Rossi
    Reply Aug 7, 2008 at 9:06 am

It has been almost 1 year since Frank was taken so suddenly from this earth. I want you to know, that through these past months I have watched you slowly heal. You turned your tears into STRENGTH. You have organized what will be, a wonderful tribute to Frank on September 13, 2008. Franks Ride will celebrate his life, his journey and his spirit that still lives, as we watch the many cyclist ride in his honor. Your strength & courage is an inspiration. Your journey will never be over.

Linda Rossi

• Reply Aug 8, 2008 at 4:09 am

So my question still remains, who holds the responsibility here, who will be held accountable for such a high degree of negligence? What is the penalty,a slap on the wrist?

I think the truth of the matter is that nobody will be held accountable for this negligence. I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that civil litigation can only award monetary verdicts. In my mind, this does little to hold the driver accountable.

As I said before, I really think the punishment should reflect the crime and the best punishment I've thought of is the loss of a drivers license. Unfortunately, it sounds like this driver does not have high enough moral standards to take personal responsibility for their actions and do this voluntarily.

In some ways, I think this all reflects what a car-centric culture we have become. I for one am in favor of a more European approach to driving. Make the driver education process rigorous and expensive. Force people to understand the responsibility they are taking on by getting behind the wheel of a car, rather than the "god given right" it appears to be in the US.

• Reply Aug 8, 2008 at 7:13 am

Motorists in every states are held CIVILLY liable for whatever losses they cause to the estate or family of their victims. That's why bond or insurance is mandatory in RI.

Right, CRIMINALLY, you have to do something illegal behind the wheel (commiting a felony, DUI, etc.) to make it vehicular manslaughter. Like I said before, statutes only allow small fines and license revocation. But you can sue for negligence and recover loss of potential income prorated by age. So you might be talking millions depending upon who you run over. Insurance companies routinely settle these cases.

If you don't sue, you get nothing. Any reasonable astute lawyer would take such a case on contingency, especially when the court has already ruled wrongful behavior, whether suspended or time served.

• Reply Aug 8, 2008 at 7:30 am

I really wish we had a lawyer in our midst, do we?

To be found guilty of vehicular manslaughter, does the prosecution have to prove there was criminal intent or is negligence enough?

I once had a lawyer tell me outright, that should someone ever want to commit a murder, they should do so with their car. This and other cases sure do bring this point to light, the criminal punishments, if any, sure do seem pretty minimal.

• Tom
    Reply Aug 19, 2008 at 2:51 pm

Is there a registration form for the ride? If so, is there a link available for the form?

Thanks very much.

• Pingback: Bike Providence » Another Death, No Criminal Charges

• Reply Sep 2, 2008 at 3:33 am

The Projo finally ran a story about this ride over the weekend, you can read it here.

• Joannie Figueira
    Reply Sep 12, 2008 at 4:22 am

I don't understand how a person can be charged with vehicular manslauter, with an eye witness at the scene, and the AG's office did not prosecute . There was not enough compelling effidence.

I have not lived in R.I in almost 30yrs.When did the law change that other then an emergency you can drive in the break down lane? I am sure when she started out that day she did not intend to kill Frank but she did. Why is there no consequence for her actions?

I didn't know the story when I signed up for this ride. I am doing it because I am fearful when I ride on main roads because many motorist do not watch out for you.

I hope this ride brings attention to this very sad situation and when these accidents happen the person involved is made accountable. It is the right thing to do.

• Reply Sep 22, 2008 at 8:01 am

Received via Providence Bicycle:

Dear Cyclists,

I want to Express how grateful I am to each and everyone of you. You made Franks Ride possible. I know that Franks spirit and love took the ride with you on September 13th. Frank Always said, "All I want to do is make a difference in every life I come in contact with." I must do this for him, and ultimately for you, by trying to pass a law giving cyclist the rights that they deserve. Thank you for keeping Franks memory alive. I felt it, and was overwhelmed when all the bikes set out. Hopefully we can all look forward to ride next year!

Lori M. DiBiasio Inncreeper@aol.com

(UPDATE) "Franks Lane" On October 15, 2008 at 5:30 pm at the Warwick City Hall a Council meeting will be held. At that time, Council Woman Helen Taylor will present the bill, "Franks Lane." Anyone is welcome to attend and share their views or just listen in. Please check http://www.franksride.com for any changes in the schedule.