Getting There: Transportation Workshop
Meet Charles Hales, a strategic planner with a focus on livable communities, transit, innovation, and public-private partnerships. As a Commissioner of Planning and Transportation for the City of Portland, Hales established a record as a national leader in the integration of land-use planning and transportation project design, in pedestrian and transit-oriented development, and in innovative financing for infrastructure projects. His background includes leading the team that built America’s first new streetcar lines in 50 years (Portland, OR), as well as creating a wide variety of civic plans for many diverse communities.
Panel I – Mass Transit Panel
Moderator – Chris Wilhite, Executive Director, The Sierra Club RI Chapter
- Mark Therrien, Assistant General Manager of Planning, Rhode Island Public Transit Authority
- Kevin Flynn, Associate Director for Planning, State of Rhode Island , Division of Planning
- John Sinnott, Senior Development Director, Struever Brothers, Eccles & Rouse
- TBA, Providence Department of Planning and Development
Panel II – Individual Transit
Moderator – Tom Sgouros
- Ann Tate, Professor of Architecture, RI School of Design
- Chris Bull, Workshop Coordinator, Recycle-A-Bike
- Jack Madden, Owner, The Hub Bicycle Shop
The evening rally will gather on the steps of the Smith Street side of the statehouse at 5:30 pm, immediately followed by a bike ride/rally to Local 121 – scooters are welcome.
In the event of rain, go directly to Local 121.
Please be sure to check back for the latest panel additions and conference updates.
Please use public transportation by visiting RIPTA. Events are within 1/4 mile of Kennedy Plaza. Bikeracks are available.