Status of the Bike Paths

Hopefully everyone in our biking community is “riding” out the storm okay.  We’ve had a couple of inquiries about the status of the various bike paths around the state and I we should open up the question to the entire audience.  How are they?  Any remaining issues?

I spent while last night clearing out debris from the Southern part of the East Bay Bike Path.  Unless there is some section I managed to miss in my journey, I think it’s now completely passable.  How about the other bike paths?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

13 comments on “Status of the Bike Paths

1. Anj says:

The kid rode Kingston to Wakefield on Monday and did not report any obstructions when I asked her how her ride went. I take that to mean it was all clear, although she is kind of a dreamy teen who might not notice a big fat tree on the path. :)

2. George Dys says:

All of my commuting is done on roads. no bike paths rides. Wish I could help.

3. Labann says:

Amanda Blevins of the WRWC says that the Northwest Trail has been swept and is totally useable.

4. Brendan says:

The Blackstone River Bikeway is clear. The trails in Lincoln Woods however are a ways from being 100% clear (speaking about the singletrack – not the paved loop in the park).

5. carfreepvd says:

Oh my god! The path is covered in snow? That storm was worse than I thought. ;)

6. [...] much of the path has been cleared now. It’s nice to know that RIDOT (or one of the cities) took the time to clear the bike path [...]

7. Labann says:

The WSBP (aka West Bay Bike Path) is useable from Parkade to West Natick Rd. (I-295 underpass). Suspect most of it is useable beyond, given number of riders pasing from opposite direction. There is one uprooted tree hanging branches just south of intersection with Park Avenue, Cranston, but you can easily go around. Otherwise, Cranston DPW and Recreation did a fantastic job to reopen path after significant tree damage, which knocked down many of the rail fences. You can see where heavy equipment was brought in to restore it to "normal".

Took this opportunity to highlight in hot pink all the addressable pavement issues along that segment. You might want to pass that along to Cranston. I'd say 95% of them require just a little tar to seal against water damage and Winter frost heave. Some are a little more hazardous, like the sink hole along edge next to Burnham Overpass.

Be advised that Burnham Avenue is closed due to construction, and West Natick Rd Westbound is closed due to fallen trees.

8. Jesse Hansen says:

The new segment of the South County (O'Neil) Bike Path is clear from Narragansett to Wakefield.

9. Martha Yates says:

Washington Secondary Bike path is clear from end to end (Coventry to Cranston). All the towns did a terrific job clearing their sections. There were loads of big trees down, but they obviously got heavy equipment in there and cut and cleared the path. There are power lines that run along a lot of the bike path, so that might make it higher on the priority list than expected. Enjoy!!

10. Labann says:

Here's some good news. Not only is the NW Bikeway open again, they've finally removed that horrible "speed bump" across the Lyman St end of it. No more panic stop when approaching.

Cranston has done nothing at all to repair the root cracks I painted in hot pink after Hurricane Irene, but at least you can mostly steer around the worst ones this way.

11. msmoritz says:

It is indeed welcome to have seen that speed bump/water diverter had been removed back in July.

But what do you mean by NW trail is open, when was it closed? Is the Narragansett Bay Commission 16-month sewer work and closure from Groden Center to Olneyville been cancelled?

Given the pace that it took for EBBP roots and cracks to be addressed, we'll be lucky to see the root pops on Washington Secondary repaired in the next 2 years.

12. labann says:

You got that right, Matt. It was my understanding NW Trail was closed temporarily this Sept. Whether it'll be closed for sewer work subsequently remains to be seen.